Vastu and buying homes in India
Vastu Shastra forms an integral part of the home buying and setting up process in India. A well-ordered home is known to bring peace, clarity, harmony and happiness to the household. In the last few decades, real estate builders and interior designers noticed the shift where most city residents are buying homes in India that should be built adhering to Vastu Shastra. It has become a basic requirement for a property to be considered worthy of investing.
WHAT IS VASTU
In layman’s language, Vastu Shastra is about the right placement of five elements known as ‘tatvas’ in the building, namely fire, air, water, earth and sky. Vastu in Sanskrit is Vaas – live and Tu – you, a place where you live. Simply put, Vastu Shastra is the science of construction. A home constructed and decorated according to Vastu brings peace, joy, health, happiness, wealth and good luck.
Vastu was developed between 6000 BC and 3000 BC. It involves designing buildings by utilising the location of the place, the influence of sun and moon wind’s direction and Earth’s magnetic field.
While buying a home in India, it can be beneficial to keep in mind certain things adhering to Vastu Shastra.
VASTU FOR KITCHEN :
The kitchen is the most important part of the home and heart. Here you will cook the food that you will consume every day. Keep in mind the following things:
- The key thing in the kitchen is fire. Bright colours like shades of yellow peach or brown brighten up this area. It is advised to avoid black or red here.
- Two opposite forces of nature, fire and water exist here. It is important to remember not to collide with them. Do not place the sink and stove side by side.
- It is advised to place the kitchen in the southeast direction of your home. The Northwest direction will work too.
VASTU FOR BEDROOM :
The bedroom is a crucial part of our home and the human body needs sleep. Sleeping repairs the body so it is important to make it Vastu proof. Follow these tips:
- You can keep the bed towards the South or west direction which ensures your legs face towards the north or east direction. It improves the quality of sleep and brings prosperity.
- Mirrors should never face the bed.
- Bedroom colours should be red, pink Orange, White and Brown.
- Placing windows on the eastern or northern walls in the bedroom would be good.
VASTU FOR BATHROOM :
According to Vastu Shastra, toilets and bathrooms are great sources of negative energy which can flow into the household.
- Place the toilets in bathrooms facing the northwest direction of the home. The toilet should be positioned on the West or north-west as it is used for waste.
- You can choose colours like pastel shades of grey, blue and pink.
- Do not share the wall of a bathroom with the wall of the kitchen and the pooja room and they should also not be placed under or above each other.
- Use the north or the east wall for the mirror and washbasin.
VASTU FOR POOJA ROOM :
Before buying homes, check if the pooja room is placed in the northeast of the northeast direction so that while praying you to face the east or north wall.
VASTU PAINTINGS :
Paintings of waterfall and river ascertain the flow of wealth and prosperity and should be placed on the north wall. Paintings depicting inspirational themes are best for the East wall. For the south wall, Sunrise paintings would be the best. Paintings depicting forefathers and departed members of your family can be placed on the south wall too. On the west wall paintings of children and forests can be placed for happiness. Keeping a running seven horse painting in the home brings speed, success and achievement.
Don’ts While buying homes in India and designing them according to Vastu:
- Paintings depicting rivalry among families like versions of Mahabharata and Ramayana should not be kept in your home.
- You should not keep cactus or thorny plants in your home.
- You should not hang pictures depicting dry trees, sinking boats, fight scenes with swords, hunting scenes, captured elephants & crying, sad people in your home.
- Broken glass, mirrors and images of Gods and Goddesses should not be kept in your home.
When you are buying homes in India keeping in mind about Vastu is very important as it is about your life and your future. Buying a home is a huge investment. Home gives shelter, love, warmth, protection and comfort. So to have a perfect home is essential for harmony and prosperity. So designing it accordingly is essential.